Notifications
Clear all

RAW Artists  

RSS

juliadennis01
(@juliadennis01)
New Member Registered
January 10, 2019 1:46 am  

Has anyone had any experience with RAW United artists? I was contacted by them to be a part of one of their artist showcases- which sounds cool....BUT its an event at Cowboys, and if I commit to it I have to sell 20 tickets, and if I don't sell them all I have to pay for them.    Plus the event is in less then a month so it's not a lot of time to try and sell tickets to something that sounds like maybe its an art-based social.  

I was wondering if anyone has ever attended one of their events either as a patron or an artist? 

This topic was modified 3 years ago by admin

samposnick
(@samposnick)
New Member Registered
January 10, 2019 2:36 am  

They hit me up a few times a while back too. So far as I know, it's a scam thing? At best, it seems pretty cheesy.

ReplyQuote
Christine Leader
(@christine)
February 28, 2019 5:18 pm  

RAW makes money of the ticket and liquor sales but you need to sell the tickets. If you don’t they make you buy them. I was contacted also and did some research. Hey! We’re Manitobans! We invented the Social... which is basically what it is. An art show in a bar with your friends/client list. Might be a good forum for some but you could cut out the middle man and organize the same thing without being beholding to RAW. But they don’t seem very choosy about who they invite to exhibit. Whoever will give them money basically so it may benifit some more then others. I would be wary.

ReplyQuote
samposnick
(@samposnick)
New Member Registered
February 28, 2019 6:18 pm  

Yeah, I feel like it's pretty scammy to expect the "content providers" to also do all the work of selling tickets and then charging them if they don't. At best, it seems like a really strange business model. And they totally seem like they just contact anyone and everyone which makes it even more suspicious to me. Agree with you that you could just do the same thing yourself and cut out the middle man.

I know someone (who knows someone, haha) who has done it for hair (she's a stylist) in Calgary who said it was good, but maybe that's a more difficult forum to show your work in so it makes more sense to do it? I don't know, the whole thing sets off alarm bells for me though.

ReplyQuote
marria
(@marria)
March 15, 2019 5:34 pm  

I was contacted as well,  but didn’t respond because I checked with other makers and they explained the scam and said it wasn’t worth the entrance fee or hassle to sell tickets to the event. 

ReplyQuote
Share: